Warning: swim at your own risk when you travel to Croatia. These are the top eight hidden dangers you should watch out for when you head to the coast this summer.
1. There are too many secluded spots around the islands so you might get lonely without the crowds. You can easily find hundreds of hidden coves and bays that are scattered off the coast, so this is a big danger and takes many by surprise each season.
2. The temperature is too perfect, so you’ll swim all day and your skin will be completely pruney. It’s almost not even refreshing it’s such a lovely temperature - a real risk, especially for kids. It might take days for their wrinkly fingers to smooth out.
3. You might find some friends that will eventually swim away, leaving you heartbroken. This usually happens if you take a sailing excursion. Many hearts have been left behind on our boats after bonding with the dolphins all day long, only for them to swim off without so much as a good-bye.
4. It’s so clear, you might see your dinner swim by, then you’ll be too sad to eat. It’s happened to too many, and the fishermen are in fear of being put out of business.
5. Many beaches are pebbly, so you might miss the extra crunch from the sand in your sandwich when you picnic. For prevention, I usually bring some sand in a plastic container to sprinkle on my lunch - I love a little crunch in my ham & cheese.
6. It’s so clean that you’ll be put off swimming in other bodies of water for life. This danger really caught me by surprise, but I just don’t want to swim anywhere else anymore - now it’s very tricky to vacation anywhere else.
7. You might suffer from B.L.O. (beautiful-landscape-overload) and go into a state of shock. This tragedy takes hundreds by surprise every year. Croatia is working on a public-health campaign to warn people in advance.
8. The sunsets are a little bit too romantic. You might catch yourself falling in love with the bag of Croatian pretzels you’re snacking on. Be careful who you sit next to or you might wind up living in Croatia, married to a local ... like me ;)
There you have it - consider yourself forewarned. I know it might be difficult now to travel to Croatia and enjoy your time with all of these hazards in the back of your mind, but do your best and let me know how it goes.
As a Canadian in Croatia, Sarah aims to share her favourite things to see and do, in hopes of helping other expats enjoy and explore this beautiful country,
Ivan is always searching for unique places and experiences to offer his guests and wants to share some of his findings through the blog.
©2016 Royal Croatian Tours. All rights reserved.