When I first moved to Croatia, I was introduced to a few “rules” that most Croatians live by (because they’ve been brought up with their grammas nearby, always keeping a watchful eye and enforcing these - let’s call them - laws).
1. I love a nice gentle breeze blowing through the house, the bedroom, the kitchen, wherever. When I first arrived in Croatia, I was told never to say those forbidden words again (especially around anyone in the gramma age-range).
Cross-breeze (propuh) is the number 1 killer in Croatia if you haven’t heard. They truly believe that’s what gets you sick. You haven’t experienced the real Croatia if you haven’t had to sit in a hot stuffy room with beads of sweat dripping down your face because Gramma’s monitoring the opening and shutting of all windows and doors.
If you are brave enough to be caught walking around without slippers, everyone will stare at your feet like you have 36 toes, each with its own large wart and head of hair. You might also notice that the slippers magically follow you around, and are ever so "discretely" placed beside you wherever you sit.
My husband told me about this when I first had lunch with his family. Everyone in the family celebrated each time I took another helping, saying to Ivan that he “chose a good one!” If you’re not bulging out of your pants, then she didn’t do her job successfully as a host. Don’t let her down.
She'll probably try and give you a pack of coffee and a box of cookies or chocolate as well. Don't try and say no, it never works. Most Croatian homes have a place where they store bundles of these types of gifts to give everyone leaving their home.
Well, that’s that. If you ever find yourself in a Croatia, just follow these rules and you should stay out of trouble. I’d also love to hear about your experiences if you’ve ever been invited for lunch or dinner while travelling Croatia! Anyone out there with some cute “baka” (gramma) tales?
Royal Croatian Tours - Specializing in custom made, luxury trips throughout Croatia. We offer exclusive experiences all over the country, and we’re passionate about providing you exceptional service that goes above and beyond for your tailor made vacation!
Send us an email or give us a call to start planning today!
If you’re interested in reading a few of our other posts about Croatia:
- 25 Strange Things Croatians Do (And Would Never Do)!
- Croatian Culture, Etiquette & Social Norms: A Complete Guide!
- My Kids Don't Speak English: Raising Bilinguals is Tough!
- 15 Places in Croatia You've Probably Never Heard Of!
- 50 Insanely Spectacular Photos of Croatia: Start Packing!
- Croatia’s Best 20 Beaches: Sandy, Pebbly & Hidden Gems
- Is Croatia Safe? Read Our 20 Useful Safety Tips for Tourists
- 5 Reasons Croatian Grannies are Cuter than Kittens
- 8 Reasons You Should Never Swim in the Adriatic
- Top 10 Day Trips From Zagreb, Within 1hr Drive
- Croatian Money: KN or EURO, Exchanging $, and Daily Costs
- How I Learned to Speak Croatian as an Adult (in 7 Steps)
- Driving in Croatia (A Helpful Guide With Practical Tips)
- 38 Local Tips & Mistakes to Avoid When Traveling to Croatia
- Travel to Croatia With a Toddler or Baby (From Experience!)
- Tipping in Croatia: A Complete Guide With Suggested Amounts!