Warning: swim at your own risk when you travel to Croatia! These are the top hidden dangers you should watch out for when you head to the coast this summer.
First, I’ll dive into a few unexpected dangers regarding secluded beaches, sea temperatures, water clarity, to name a few. Next, I'll address what most people are concerned about: sharks - are there any in the Adriatic?! Finally, I'll talk about those pesky sea urchins, and what to do in case you step on one!
Read on to find out more!
8 Hidden Dangers of Swimming in the Adriatic Sea!
To best explore these quiet coves and bays, take a private sailing or boating excursion for the day and discover the Adriatic as you please!
Many hearts have been left behind on our boating days after bonding with the dolphins for hours, only for them to swim off without so much as a good-bye.
Do them a favor and order a big platter of fish while dining out (eat with a blindfold if you must).
There you have it - consider yourself warned. I know it might be difficult now to enjoy your vacation in Croatia with all of these hidden hazards in the back of your mind, but do your best and let me know how it goes.
Sharks in Croatia
- The most recent deadly attack took place way back in 1974 near Omis.
- The last known recorded attack (non-deadly) happened in 2008 near Vis Island. The victim was a Slovenian diver who was spearfishing and had tied some fish he had caught around his belt. The shark smelled the blood from the fish, and bit the divers leg (the diver was saved, and so was his leg!).
The Adriatic Sea is still deemed extremely safe for swimming. There are only two dangerous species of shark (Mako and Great White), and attacks are incredibly rare.
They’re more commonly found on natural/private beaches than public ones (since public beaches are often cleaned of these), however, even on public beaches, the odd one can be found.
Stepping on a sea urchin is more of a nuisance than anything to be seriously worried about, so don’t panic if you do step on one, just follow the steps below:
What to do if you step on a sea urchin?
- Try to remove it carefully if it’s still stuck in your foot (but try not to prick your hand while doing so)
- Clean the affected area
- Remove any spikes that can be reached with tweezers (some will be too deep to remove)
- Apply cream (Go to a nearby pharmacy and the pharmacist will give you a special cream that will help the spikes come out on their own. FYI, the cream smells TERRIBLE, but it helps!)
To prevent a sea urchin injury altogether, pick up a pair of water shoes. Yes, they’re ugly, but they’ll do wonders for protecting your feet!
Check out our article on some of Croatia's best beaches here, and enjoy!
Here are some emergency numbers in Croatia just in case you might need them for any reason throughout your vacation (most likely NOT due to any Adriatic dangers, though)!
If you’re interested in reading a few of our other posts about Croatia:
- 25 Strange Things Croatians Do (And Would Never Do)!
- Croatian Culture, Etiquette & Social Norms: A Complete Guide!
- My Kids Don't Speak English: Raising Bilinguals is Tough!
- 15 Places in Croatia You've Probably Never Heard Of!
- 50 Insanely Spectacular Photos of Croatia: Start Packing!
- Croatia’s Best 20 Beaches: Sandy, Pebbly & Hidden Gems
- Is Croatia Safe? Read Our 20 Useful Safety Tips for Tourists
- 5 Reasons Croatian Grannies are Cuter than Kittens
- Top 10 Day Trips From Zagreb, Within 1hr Drive
- Croatian Money: KN or EURO, Exchanging $, and Daily Costs
- How I Learned to Speak Croatian as an Adult (in 7 Steps)
- Driving in Croatia (A Helpful Guide With Practical Tips)
- 38 Local Tips & Mistakes to Avoid When Traveling to Croatia
- Travel to Croatia With a Toddler or Baby (From Experience!)
- Tipping in Croatia: A Complete Guide With Suggested Amounts!
- 20 Croatian Habits Everyone Should Adopt
Royal Croatian Tours - Specializing in custom made, luxury trips throughout Croatia. We offer exclusive experiences all over the country, and we’re passionate about providing you exceptional service that goes above and beyond for your tailor made vacation!
Send us an email or give us a call to start planning today!