28 Reasons to Honeymoon in Croatia
2. Private beaches - Croatia is made up of miles and miles of coastline, whether it be on the islands or on the mainland, there are plenty of private places to soak up each others’ company in peace and away from all of the crowds.
3. Stunning water - the colours of the Adriatic sea are remarkable - blue, green and every shade in between. It’s also an incredibly clean body of water, so great for swimming or even diving if you feel like being adventurous in Croatia with your sweetie.
4. Fantastic restaurants - there is no shortage of top notch restaurants to enjoy a romantic dinner on your honeymoon! Choose between a fancy night out, or a fun, local experience at an authentic Croatian restaurant. Either way, your tastebuds will thank you! There’s plenty of delicious food to discover, so be adventurous and try something new with your new hubby or wifey!
5. Sailing excursions - don’t leave Croatia without going on a sailing (or boating of some sort) excursion! It’s the perfect, romantic activity to do on your honeymoon. You’ll have the boat to yourselves and you can whisper sweet-nothings, while having a Jack and Rose moment on the bow of the boat :)
6. Romantic hikes - a couple that sweats together, stays together ;) Why not hike to one of the most stunning views in the world! Hike to the peak of one of the many mountains that line the coastline to catch an incredible view of the Adriatic and all of the islands in the distance! Have a romantic picnic at the peak to top it all off!
7. Amazing views - everywhere you look, there are amazing views - Croatia has mountains, the sea, islands, quaint city streets, waterfalls, forests, castles, rivers, lakes, and more! What better way to spend your honeymoon?
8. Postcard like towns - every town seems like it comes straight from a postcard. The little cobblestone streets, the laundry hanging from the windows, the colourful buildings, the old stone, the hilltop towns, the castles, the fortresses, the old stone buildings…you get the idea!
9. Fairytale backdrops for even more romantic picnics - with all of the castles and fortresses scattered throughout the country, there are almost too many picture perfect places to lay down a blanket, uncork a bottle of wine and enjoy a picnic lunch with your sweet sugar pie.
10. History - there is so much history in Croatia and the region, you will feel all different emotions as you go through the events of the past and learn how Croatia and the region developed and came to be the way they are today. Empires rising and falling, wars won and lost, countless border changes, and governments in and out of power, Croatian history dates back to the 7th century, so there’s no shortage of stories to be heard.
11. The islands - with over 1200 islands to discover, a quiet, romantic, peaceful cover is never far away. Most of these islands are uninhabited, and lovely to sail or boat around to discover hidden bays where you can escape the crowds and simply enjoy your Croatian honeymoon.
12. Waterfalls - calling all waterfall chasers… Croatia is the spot for you! Here you can chase some of the most stunning waterfalls in the world! Take a romantic stroll along the wooden paths winding through Plitvice National Park, or swim near the cascading water at Krka National Park, or sit by the Krupa River and just admire the beauty that surrounds you!
13. Nightlife - head out on the town as newlyweds and dance the night away - literally - Croatian nightlife goes right through the night. You can even catch the sunrise on the way home if you truly want to party like locals!
14. Friendly locals - speaking of locals, Croatian people are quite friendly and welcoming with tourists. Most people speak English quite well, but even those who don’t will always give a friendly nod or wave. Learning a word or two of Croatian goes a long way with the locals, too, so practice “Bok, kako ste?” (Hello, how are you?), and you’ll be a star!
15. Game of Thrones - are you the type that likes to cuddle up and have a Game of Thrones marathon with your sweetheart? Well now you can see where all of those incredible scenes were filmed and hear true stories about what when on during filming by local guides who witnessed it all first hand! Dubrovnik was the main city where it all took place - there you can see the Red Keep, the location of the Purple Wedding, and more
16. Safety - Croatia is a very safe country to visit, with a very low crime rate. All you have to worry about is enjoying each others’ company and having romantic adventures - it’s the perfect place to enjoy your first vacation as newlyweds.
17. Everyone speaks English - as stated before, most people do speak English, so it’s a very easy country to travel through. The alphabet is also latin based, so you’ll be able to read some words and attempt to pronounce them even if you don’t know what they mean (just to try to impress your hunny)!
18. Coffee and coffee culture - there’s nothing Croatians love more than to just sit for coffee for hours and hours, and chat, chat, chat! They are seriously professionals and can make a single cup of coffee last 2-3 hours, easily. What better way to spend quality time on your honeymoon, than sitting with your sweetie and just making time to chat about everything and nothing. But remember to put your smart phones away - keep the romance alive!
19. Fresh fish - with the Adriatic Sea lining the entire west coast of Croatia, there’s an abundance of amazingly fresh seafood and restaurants that specialize in all different types. Try octopus prepared traditionally under the “peka” (a pan of meat or fish covered by an iron dome, which is then covered in embers which cook the meal perfectly!)
20. Oysters - if you’re an oyster fan, then Ston is a must-see! Take a small private boat out to the bay and see how oysters are farmed, then sample some straight from the sea (and indulge in some wine while you’re at it, of course!)
21. Bakeries on every corner - does the smell of fresh bread and pastries do anything for you? Well if it doesn’t, you might have a serious problem. The quaint little streets that make up the small towns of Croatia are littered with bakeries - so sit down and have a croissant with a cup of coffee for a perfect little romantic breakfast on the go!
22. Local markets - the freshest produce can be found here! Pick up some fruit and veggies and have a romantic picnic at a nearby park (along with a baguette from one of the bakeries I mentioned in the previous point!
23. The size -Croatia is not a huge country and you can cover a lot of ground in a short time. Everything from Dubrovnik to Zagreb, to Istria and the islands in between - if you have a week or 10 days, you can see so much!
24. Options for different budgets - Croatia has both super-luxury and affordable comfort options for accommodation, activities (you can do either private or group based excursion), and transfers (luxury or standard vehicle transfer). Also, for getting to and from the islands, you have a choice to take the public ferry, or hire a private boat transfer to get you there faster and on your own time. Lastly, Croatia has restaurant options to fit any budget! The point is that you can travel and take your honeymoon to Croatia whether you have a big or small amount set aside.
25. Cleanliness - the streets are very well cared for and cleaned often, especially through the tourist season so you don’t see much litter or trash lying around. The white marble streets of Split and Dubrovnik literally shine!
26. Adventure - if you’re an adventurous & active couple, there are endless opportunities to get outside and try new things! You can cycle, hike, go sea kayaking, zip-lining, sail, swim, snorkel, dive, and more! With the sea, the mountains and the forests all around, Croatia is the perfect place to get an active start to your marriage!
27. UNESCO sites - there are 10 of these world heritage site in Croatia that are protected and ready to be explored! Among them are Plitvice Lakes National Park, Diocletian’s Palace in Split and Dubrovnik’s old town!
28. Wine - did you know the famous zinfandel grape actually has Croatian roots? There are many wine regions in Croatia and with the fertile land and great coastal climate, some have become quite well known on the world stage.
There are a million more reasons you should consider Croatia for your honeymoon, but these are just a few to start :)
If there are some other obvious ones I’m missing, please leave a comment below - I’d love to keep updating the list!
And of course, if you need some help in planning your Croatia honeymoon, I'd love to help!